Oahu resorts & hotels
Our complete Oahu vacation guide
Table of Contents
- Why you should pick Oahu
- Five main regions of Oahu
- Things to do on Oahu
- How to find a hotel or resort on Oahu
- What is the difference between a hotel and a resort?
- What accommodations does OUTRIGGER provide?
Nicknamed "The Gathering Place", Oahu is the third-largest and the most populous of the Hawaiian Islands. Its vibrant and lively cities are balanced by beautiful mountain vistas, peaceful beaches and lush foliage. And Oahu resorts provide the opportunity to luxuriate, relax and experience all the adventures that the island has to offer. In this vacation guide, we’ll walk you through some of the best places to go and coolest things to do, and we’ll also help you choose a resort in Oahu.
Here's why you should pick Oahu
Each Hawaiian Island has its own charm and character. One of Oahu's great strengths is that it offers a broad range of things to do – making it a popular choice for families and people with a diverse set of interests. In Honolulu, you can enjoy ample creature comforts including fine dining, plentiful shopping and luxurious Oahu resorts. And outside of the city, you can find lots of opportunities to engage with nature.
The five main regions of Oahu
Let’s take a closer look at each of the major regions on Oahu.
- The South Shore – Honolulu and Waikiki: The South Shore is home to Oahu's largest city and lots of energy. It's a perfect spot to enjoy an Oahu resort, a night on the town or a sunset cruise.
- The North Shore: The North Shore is well-known for its enormous waves and legendary surfing. During the summertime, it's a great location for snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking and other water sports. While there’s plenty to do on the North Shore, it has a somewhat calmer and quieter demeanor than Oahu’s more populated areas.
- The East Side: Known as the windward side of the island, the East Side is a scenic 30-minute drive from the South Shore. In addition to boasting a number of great breweries and restaurants, the East Side is home to Lanikai Beach – famous for its fine white sand and strikingly blue water.
- The West Side: The west (or leeward) side of the island tends to see the least number of visitors, but offers much natural beauty. It's populated by many smaller fishing and farming communities, as well as a nature preserve at Kaena Point.
- Central Oahu: Central Oahu is accessible by car and is largely made up of farms that produce some of Hawaii's most famous exports – including pineapple and coffee. At some of the farms, you’re welcome to stop and enjoy the locally-grown offerings.
Things to do on Oahu
Oahu offers a huge variety of activities for all ages. These are some of the many fun things you can do while on the island:
- Take a surfing lesson: Oahu features some of the world’s best and biggest waves, and surfing is a huge attraction. If you're not ready to take on a serious swell, there are plenty of surfer school instructors who can show you the ropes, build your confidence and maybe even help you to ride your first wave!
- Stretch out on the beach: There's a reason why beaches instantly come to mind when most people think of Hawaii. Oahu is full of great sandy expanses to relax and enjoy the rays. From the energetic Waikiki Beach to picturesque, less-populated gems like Sunset Beach on the North Shore, there's a beach for nearly every mood and mindset.
- Go for a hike: Oahu's mountains deliver spectacular views and an opportunity to immerse yourself in nature. Whether you’re looking for a strenuous and challenging hike or a more laid-back experience, there are lots of great options.
- Experience Hawaiian culture: Hawaii's hundreds and hundreds of years of rich heritage make it a very special place. Oahu is the perfect location to learn about Hawaiian wood carving, bracelet crafting or to take a ukulele lesson.
Oahu resorts & hotels - how to find a hotel or resort on Oahu
Now that you have a taste of all that there is to do on Oahu, it's time to think about where you'll stay. Resorts on Oahu are plentiful, and all come with their own advantages. Travel websites can be a good starting place when looking for a hotel in Oahu. You can read reviews, see what amenities are offered and determine their proximity to local attractions.
The good news is that when it comes to resorts, Oahu Hawaii is full of fantastic choices – the best fit will just depend on your individual preferences. Do you want to be in the thick of the action or have a bit more peace and quiet? What are your must-have excursions while you’re on the island? Once you have identified your priorities, you can start to narrow down your list and find a winner!
What is the difference between a hotel and a resort?
When you're looking at accommodations, it can be tricky at first glance to understand what separates Oahu Hawaii resorts and hotels. The difference between hotels and resorts is this: hotels are designed primarily to provide lodging, while resorts tend to offer a wider range of amenities right on their property, such as entertainment, dining and shopping. Depending on where you stay, Oahu resorts can offer all this and more.
What accommodations does OUTRIGGER provide?
Our hotels and resorts in Oahu Hawaii are highly-rated and located right where you'll want to be.
- OUTRIGGER Reef Waikiki Beach Resort offers oceanfront rooms and suites right in the heart of Waikiki Beach. Enjoy the sweeping views of the Pacific, indulge in an array of luxury amenities, and take in all the local attractions. You’ll be just steps away from Diamond Head, the Waikiki Beach Walk, and many of Hawaii’s other iconic locations.
- At OUTRIGGER Waikiki Beach Resort, you can enjoy beachfront accommodations as well as your own private balcony. Choose a room with a city view to watch the world go by, or a room with a beach view to watch the waves. And be sure to check out some of the daily live music and cultural activities that we offer.
- OUTRIGGER Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel provides a unique and wonderful way to get immersed in the spirit of Waikiki. Featuring Hawaiian photographs and art, artisanal dining options, and locally-brewed beer, it’s a feast for the senses.
- OHANA Waikiki East by Outrigger is set right in the center of the action. Located next to Waikiki’s International Marketplace, it’s a great spot to enjoy local food and shopping. We offer flexible room options, including some with built-in kitchenettes.
- Airport Honolulu Hotel blends comfort and convenience. It’s a relaxing spot to recharge after travel, or before you set off to return home. Unwind at our pool and fitness center, have a beverage at the Lazy Fish Lounge, and take advantage of the airport shuttle for a seamless trip to the plane.
OUTRIGGER's Oahu resorts are designed to provide everything you need to relax, have fun and enjoy your stay. Browse our Oahu locations – your next vacation awaits.
Local music, live dancing, native traditions and customs — authentic experiences are waiting for you. Book now before this deal sails away.