5 Eco-Activities to Help You Celebrate World Oceans Month
Outrigger’s Zone or OZONE is Outrigger Resorts’ global conservation initiative committed to preserving coral reef systems. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), coral reefs are threatened by an increasing array of impacts—primarily from global climate change, unsustainable fishing, and pollution. And while coral reefs occupy only 0.7% of the ocean floor, they provide habitat and vital nursery grounds for 25% of all marine species on the planet, making them the rainforests of the ocean.
While every year June 8th is celebrated across the planet as World Oceans Day, Outrigger has taken it one step further by designating June 8th OZONE Day. This means they bring even more educational and fun activities to their guests for that day and throughout the month of June. With properties in countries all over the Pacific, their OZONE efforts are a great way for their hosts (employees) and guests to think globally and act locally. Sometimes, even on vacation we want to feel like we’re doing something to help the beautiful places we visit, so here are 5 examples of how Outrigger guests can take hands-on, direct action to be part of the solution.
1. Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort offers a few ways to directly support coral health and growth. On June 8th, there will be an educational workshop teaching guests how to build and then sink “fish houses,” which will attract a number of fish and other marine life over time. Later on, they will transplant propagated coral onto these houses, turning them into coral nurseries.
2. Guests of Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort on June 8th can join the fruitful coral restoration efforts by learning from resident marine biologist Caterina Fattori of Best Dives Maldives. After an instructional briefing, guests will be invited to help prepare and affix new fragments of coral onto a metal frame and eventually onto the natural reef.
3. Everyday is OZONE Day at Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort. Through partnership with Reef Conservation Mauritius guests are invited to snorkel or take glass bottom boat tours to discover the beauty of various coral gardens in the lagoon in front of the resort. Guests help observe and monitor the lagoon, filled with healthy coral reefs, over 100 NFL football fields of coral patch reef and 40 football fields of sea grass beds inhabited by approximately 70 different fish species. On June 7th, guests can join a workshop where empty aquariums will be provided to make their own underwater ecosystem using natural elements from the beach.
4. Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort will be planting coconut palms. This is essential to support healthy reefs because coastal trees help to protect our oceans from harmful run-off and prevent erosion. Unfortunately, a few years ago, an invasive beetle forced many palms to be cut down, so now on June 6 the resort is inviting guests to help them replant!
5. Both Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort will be encouraging guests to write commitments of how they will support ocean health and post them to social media. Later in the month, Outrigger will be hosting a day of learning and fun at the Waikiki Aquarium with activities for the whole family, including live Hawaiian music, educational exhibits, games and quality prizes. In June Waikiki will also be celebrating the Homecoming of the Hokulea’s Malama Honua (Care for Island Earth) 3-year voyage around the world. Outrigger’s long-time partnership with the Polynesian Voyaging Society makes the occasion and festivities even more special.
Outrigger Resorts and their OZONE program is a good example of how vacations can be a time to recharge, relax, and contribute in meaningful ways. To learn more about the eco-activities at each property, please visit: outrigger.com/events. Or click here to read more about OZONE.